Sunday, February 7, 2010

Yes

Readings:
II Chronicles 1
Acts 15:36-16:5

Focus:
II Chronicles 1:11-12: "God said to Solomon, 'Because this is what you desire, because you have not asked for wealth or possessions or honor, or the lives of those hostile to you, or even long life for yourself, but have asked for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are granted to you; I shall also give you wealth and possessions and glory, such as no king before you has had, and none after you shall have."

When God asked Solomon what he would like, Solomon's prayer was an unselfish one: he wanted wisdom so that he could properly do the job that God had given him to do. In response, God gave him what he had asked for, plus the things that another person might selfishly have asked for.

When we ask for unselfish things, especially things in line with God's will, it is often likely that God will answer those prayers with a yes. And when we are doing God's will, he further gives us other things, things that we had not asked for, things that make us happy. They may not always be material things such as possessions or money, or even safety and health. But when we are doing God's will, he will always make us happy.

3 comments:

  1. This is challenging to me because I have not always felt happy when I have thought I was doing what God was moving me to do. Now, that could be symptomatic of depression, or it could be that I'm just periodically wrong, or both, or a little bit of neither. I think that perhaps 'content' is a better word for me than 'happy'. For me content means that I am able to accept what is happening, to see it as part of an overall pattern that may turn for the good even though it might feel like disaster after disaster in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love me, obey my commands... obedience opens us up to God's blessings in our lives. Obedience can be difficult, but it is always good.

    Thanks Debbie

    ReplyDelete