Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bringing Our Contribution into the House of God

Readings:
II Chronicles 31
Romans 2:17-29

Focus:
II Chronicles 31:10b: "From the time when the people began to bring their contribution into the house of the Lord, they have had enough to eat, enough and to spare; indeed, the Lord has so greatly blessed them that they have this great store left over."

When I was a young girl, my grandmother told me that if I tithed (gave 10% of my money to the church), I would never be sorry. I took her seriously and started to do this, and I found that she was right. I have been tithing ever since, and I have never been sorry.

I do not agree with the so-called "prosperity gospel" that teaches that if people obey God, they will become rich and prosperous. I do not find evidence for this in the Bible as a whole. But I do find throughout the Bible evidence that when we give generously to God, he never lets us lack anything that we need.

I have never lacked anything that I truly needed. I have also never been worried about my financial security. I have given to God, and he has taken care of me. That is the way it should be, I believe. It is a very good way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment