Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Believe the Deeds

Readings:
I Kings 16
John 10:31-42

Focus:
John 10:37-38:"If my deeds are not the deeds of my Father, do not believe me. But if they are, then even if you do not believe me, believe the deeds, so that you may recognize and know that the Father is in me, and I in the Father."

People are confronted with what Jesus has done--miraculous deeds of healing and restoration. And then he says that he is one with the Father. Ignoring his amazing deeds, they decide to stone him for his supposed blasphemy in saying this. It is incredible that this is more logical to them than thinking, "He has done miracles that no one else can do! He must be the awaited Messiah!"

Before the day of Jesus, the kings of Israel turned to Baal rather than follow the God who had brought Israel out of Egypt with great signs and wonders.

It is the same today. People hear not only of the miracles of Jesus, but also of his rising from the dead. Yet it seems easier for many people to believe in "vibes", or the occult, or new age spirituality, or a host of other things, than in Jesus and the good news he offers. Perhaps it is easier to believe these other things than to change behaviors in order to follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment