Saturday, January 16, 2010

Rejoicing for Being Found Worthy to Suffer

Readings:
I Chronicles 9
Acts 5:33-42

Focus:
Acts 5:41:"The apostles went out from the Council rejoicing that they had been found worthy to suffer humiliation for the sake of the name."

Peter and some of the other apostles had just been under arrest by the authorities in Jerusalem, and they had been flogged because they had been teaching in the name of Jesus. When they are let go after the floggings, how do they leave? Rejoicing. That is amazing to me. I think if I had just been flogged, I would be feeling pretty miserable, and I would just want to crawl home and have someone take care of me. I would feel quite sorry for myself that I had had to suffer because I was a Christian.

But the apostles go out rejoicing, not only that they have suffered for being Christians, but that they have been found worthy to suffer for being Christians. Suffering is something to be worthy of! Obviously their value system is different from that of most of us. And it's something I want to learn from.

Someday any one of us may have to suffer for being Christians. If it happens to me, instead of self-pity, not only do I want to feel God's love and support for me, but also, I want to rejoice for being found worthy to suffer for the sake of the name. What a wonderful thing to be able to rejoice like the apostles!

No comments:

Post a Comment