Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How Inscrutable His Ways

Readings:
Nehemiah 13
Romans 11

Focus:
Romans 11:12b: "How deep are the wealth and the wisdom and the knowledge of God! How inscrutable his judgments, how unsearchable his ways!"

Sometimes there are things that seem hard to understand. Why does God allow us free choice, so that people can choose to do bad things that cause evil to happen? For example, why are people free to choose to be suicide bombers and harm innocent people?

Or, why has God allowed mosquitoes and bad bacteria to exist in our world? Why does he allow cancer to exist?

I can come up with some rough answers to some of these questions, because of theology that I have learned, but in general there are always questions that we don't quite get about God. At times like these I remember that I have a human mind, but God is God. His mind is much greater than mine--infinitely greater. If I understood everything about him, he wouldn't be God. I'm glad he's greater than I am. I wouldn't want a God that I could completely understand. Then he wouldn't be much of a God.

And one thing I know is that I get all my ideas of goodness and justice from him. So I can trust that the things I don't understand will somehow end up being for purposes of goodness and justice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment