Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Will Not Let Anything Make Free with Me

Readings:
Job 9
I Corinthians 6:12-20

Focus:
I Corinthians 6:12b: "No doubt I am free to do anything, but I for one will not let anything make free with me."

When Paul says, "No doubt I am free to do anything," he is referring to the fact that the Corinthian Christians were relying on their freedom from many older religious laws. They had been set free from these by their new covenant in Christ.

However, Paul reminds them that not everything is good, and moreover, behaviors and habits can have a way of taking control of a person. As Paul says, "I for one will not let anything make free with me."

And Christ died for us, to make us look to God as if we were good. A response of gratitude would be for us to do our best to act good. In verses 19 and 20, Paul says, "You do not belong to yourselves; you were bought at a price." What a costly price it was, too. We owe it to Christ to give him our best efforts at goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment