Wednesday, August 4, 2010

God Forbid That I Should Boast

Readings:
Psalm 24
Galatians 6:11-18

Focus:
Galatians 6:14: "God forbid that I should boast of anything but the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world is crucified to me and I to the world!"

I regularly find myself proud of my accomplishments. I find myself wanting to talk about them to people. I'm sure the temptation occurs to many of us.

The conversations don't always go the way I envision, though. People aren't nearly as interested as I think they ought to be. Actually, they're much more lively when I ask them about their accomplishments.

This is a reminder to me that it is not a good thing for me to boast. And in fact, there is only true value in what God has done for me. That is what is worth boasting about. Anything I have done fades away in the face of God's magnificent gift of redemption and salvation; my achievements are, as Paul says, garbage in comparison.

God forbid that I should boast of anything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment