Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Lord Is Our Light; Whom Should We Fear?

Readings:
Psalm 27
Ephesians 2:1-10

Focus:
Psalm 27:1: "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom then should I go in dread?"
Psalm 27:13: "Well I know that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

It is incredibly freeing to know God. We do not have to be afraid of anything! God is greater than anyone or anything imaginable, and when he is on our side, there is nothing that can ultimately overcome us.

I have been through cancer and open heart surgery. I am currently unemployed, having been laid off a few months ago. Yet I do not despair or feel abandoned, nor did I feel that way in the midst of my illnesses. For both now and then, God has been with me, and I know that he has a purpose for my life. I know he can guide me through troubled waters. And I know that whatever the outcome, he is there at the end.

How can I be afraid of troubles in this life when God is my light and my salvation?

4 comments:

  1. is there a 'like' button? God's grace to you in abundance..
    dm

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to you, Dave! It was great seeing you at GA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Psalm has been my all time fvorite for many years, Debbie. It took on even more meaning when I was widowed. Back in the '70s I memorized from the NASB. That translation says: "The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? the Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread? ...I would have depaired unless i had believed that i would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord." Ps. 27:1,13,14 (The verses 2- 12 are also full of great wisdom and meaning for me)
    As the Lord fought my enemies of despair, doubt, disappointment, discouragement, lonliness, fear, anger etc. etc., I waited & trusted in Him. He replaced those emotions with eager expectation and confidence in what he would do! there was no doubt attached to that kind of "waiting" on Him. He gave me interest and excitement in life and people again. I'm so very thankful for His Word and promises!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey, your Christian walk is a great inspiration and example to me!

    ReplyDelete