Thursday, June 17, 2010

God Is So Much Greater Than We Are

Readings:
Job 36
II Corinthians 4:1-12

Focus:
Job 36:26a: "Consider: God is so great that we cannot know him."

One thing that is, surprisingly, comforting to me about God, is that I do not understand him completely. I used to think that I ought to be able to have all my questions about God answered, and that all the things that bothered me should be cleared up.

But then one day I realized that God was God and I was not. I was not even close. How could I expect to understand everything about him? It is hard enough to learn difficult subjects such as trigonometry or object-oriented programming. How could I imagine that I could understand God?

Once I realized that, I felt much better. This was because I already knew that he is the one who gives us the instinct for what goodness and justice are. If this is true, then he is bound to be ultimately good and just. We can trust that what he is doing is good and right, even when we don't understand.

It is just that he is so great that we cannot know all about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment