Sunday, June 6, 2010

Not Just Our Spirits, But Our Minds

Readings:
Job 25
I Corinthians 14

Focus:
I Corinthians 14:15b: "I will pray with my spirit, but also with my mind; I will sing hymns with my spirit, but with my mind as well."

Although it is important for us to be emotionally and spiritually engaged when we pray and sing to God, Paul cautions us that it is not good for us to only be emotional and spiritual in our prayer and worship. We must use our minds.

In fact, Paul says it is more important than anything else for us to use our minds while we pray and worship. Without this, our relationship with God cannot develop and mature. Fervent singing and praying is good, but it is not good if it is the only thing we ever do. We must apply our minds to our relationship with God, and apply them while we are worshipping him, so that we can actively communicate intellectually with God, and not just emotionally.

Like Paul, we must pray and sing not just with our spirits, but with our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment