Tuesday, December 8, 2009

As Jesus Has Loved Us

Readings:
II Kings 1
John 13:31-38

Focus:
John 13:34:"I give you a new commandment: love one another; as I have loved you, so you are to love one another."

The new commandment that Jesus gives his disciples, to love one another, is one of the most famous and well-known things that Jesus has said. But I think that often what is generally remembered about it is that Jesus said "Love one another." Often what is forgotten as that he also said, "As I have loved you."

It is fairly easy to be warm and sentimental, singing "All You Need Is Love," like my favorite group, the Beatles, being friendly and kind to others when the occasion occurs, and avoiding being unfriendly and deliberately selfish. But it is actually quite a tall order to love each other the way that Jesus loved us. Jesus ended up actually giving his life for us. His whole life was focused on benefitting others. He didn't just do this at times; he did it all the time. It wasn't something he did as a part-time ministry when he got off work, or on the weekend. His life was oriented around loving others.

If we are to love one another as Jesus has loved us, it will take a radical re-orienting of our lives. But we might be delightfully surprised at the joy it will bring us. I know I'd like to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment