Saturday, December 12, 2009

Those Who Are For Us Are More Than Those Who Are Against Us

Readings:
II Kings 6
John 15:11-27

Focus:
II Kings 6:16:"Elisha answered, 'Do not be afraid, for those on our side are more than those on theirs."
John 15:19:"If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but you do not belong to the world, now that I have chosen you out of the world, and for that reason the world hates you."

These readings were actually quite pertinent to me at the moment. I sometimes get involved in discussions on other people's denominationally-related blogs, or in the Christians@Microsoft discussion list, and sometimes the discussions are with theological opponents and/or with self-proclaimed atheists. It so happens that I have been involved in not one but two such discussions the last few days, one with people who disagree with me (and others) theologically, and one with some atheists.

In both cases I have had to endure being called a liar, a bigot, and prejudiced, and other such labels, although I and those arguing with me never use labels for those we debate with. After a while, although one can dismiss these things as unreasonable, it does start to wear one down a little.

But tonight when I read these Bible passages I found some very helpful reminders. The world hated Jesus. Jesus is our master, and a servant is not greater than the master. If the world hated Jesus, it will hate us, too. It's no more than we should expect. Where Jesus is, there should we be, too. And we are in good company, with someone able to shelter us.

But also, those who are for us are more than those who are against us. Ultimately, we have all the power of God and his saints and angels on our side. We will be with him in the very end, and all will be well.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Debbie, the wearing down is there but Christ, his people and all the heavenly host what a crowd: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,

    Atheists and disciples of Jesus are both giving you the same feedback, and this is your come back?

    1) They hated Jesus. 2) Jesus was right 3) They hate me. 4) Therefore I too am right.

    Is this kind of logic common at Microsoft?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not my logic, Jodie. My logic is this: I'm with Jesus, trying to do what is right (although I may fail). Some people hate me because of it. People also hated Jesus, so I can feel comforted in the midst of being hated, since a servant is not greater than the servant's master, and I can't expect everything to be sweetness and light. That is in fact the logic of the Scripture passage itself.

    Not only that, but because I have given my life over to him, I will still be with him in the end, and those who are on his side are more than those who are against him. This is true even if I mess up and get things wrong. Since I have cast my lot with him, I will ultimately be OK.

    I certainly don't believe that I'm right merely because I'm hated.

    But this blog is not for arguing. It's for meditating on God's word. So if you want to argue, it will have to be somewhere else (such as my other blog, Taking the Ring.) I will not be responding further to attacks on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,

    People don't hate you because you are "trying to do what is right".

    But if you weren't so self serving and self righteous you wouldn't get so much flack.

    Meditate about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodie, this comment will be left but not responded to. And future comments like that will be removed. See the new comments policy.

    ReplyDelete