Sunday, December 6, 2009

Deep Distress, Yet Deeper Love

Readings:
I Kings 22:29-53
John 13:18-30

Focus:
John 13:21:"After saying this, Jesus exclaimed in deep distress, 'In very truth I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.'"

It's always something when I remember that Jesus felt deep distress over things such as the fact that Judas was going to betray him. It's easy for me to remember that he is God and knew everything, and was above everything and in control. What's hard for me to remember is that he was also human and felt dread. Yes, he is divine and knew that the sacrifice he was going to make would take away the punishment for our sins, and make it possible for us to be with him eternally. But he was also mortal and could feel pain and fear, and could deeply dread the agony he was about to go through. Yet he did not hesitate. His love for us was that great. For this kind of love, I want to give everything back to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment